News Flash Home
The original item was published from 12/10/2020 12:02:32 PM to 2/1/2021 12:00:01 AM.

News Flash

Engineering, Permits and Planning

Posted on: December 10, 2020

[ARCHIVED] Hemphill Road Improvement FAQs for Residents

What is going on?

The stakes in your neighborhood are markers of the new Right of Way boundary for the Hemphill Road Improvements project. The project was previously announced at a public meeting in November 2019, and it includes improving Hemphill Road with curb, gutter, and bike lines and then extending the roadway to East Maryland Avenue. Several residents attended and provided comments at the public meeting.

What are the stakes for?

The stakes have been placed by professional surveyors under contract with the City of Sherwood, and they have been placed to assist the land and title consultants with documenting and appraising the additional Right of Way needed for the project. Please do not move the stakes. If the stakes are moved, the land and title company will have more difficulty appraising the property and providing you with fair market value compensation for the additional land.

Why are you taking so much property?

The City of Sherwood is not taking property; the additional right of way will be purchased at fair market value from the property owner. For most residents, the new Right of Way boundary is actually less than 5 feet beyond the existing boundary. The exact distance between the street and your property line varies; however, the existing Right of Way boundary is about 25 feet from the center of the road, so your property line today may actually be 10-20 feet from the edge of the road. This should be shown in your property survey.

Why is the road so close to my house?

The Right of Way boundary is a legal boundary of property owned by the City of Sherwood for public access. The road itself will not extend all the way to the new Right of Way boundary. There is a buffer, which includes grass and sidewalk, 8 feet or wider from the new boundary to the back of the new curb.

How much will I get paid?

A land and title consultant will contact you directly with more information about purchasing the Right of Way. You will be paid based on an appraisal of the property.

When will they start?

This project may start early next year.

How long will it take?

Construction may take 8 to 12 months. Access to your home will be maintained during construction.

If you have any questions, please contact the Sherwood Permit and Planning Department at 501.835.4753.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Engineering, Permits and Planning